Data Processing Agreement
This Customer Data Processing Agreement reflects the requirements of the European Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”) as it comes into effect on May 25, 2018. HashRoot Limited´s products and services offered in the European Union are GDPR ready and this DPA provides you with the necessary documentation of this readiness.
This Data Processing Agreement (“DPA”) is an addendum to the Customer Terms of Service (“Agreement”) between HashRoot Limited (HashRoot) and the Customer. All capitaized terms not defined in this DPA shall have the meanings set forth in the Agreement. Customer enters into this DPA on behalf of itself and, to the extent required under Data Protection Laws, in the name and on behalf of its Authorized Affiliates (defined below).
“Affiliate” means an entity that directly or indirectly Controls, is Controlled by or is under common Control with an entity.
“Authorized Affiliate” means any of Customer Affiliate(s) permitted to or otherwise receiving the benefit of the Services pursuant to the Agreement.
“Control” means an ownership, voting or similar interest representing fifty percent (50%) or more of the total interests then outstanding of the entity in question. The term “Controlled” shall be construed accordingly.
“Controller” means an entity that determines the purposes and means of the processing of Personal Data.
“Customer Data” means any data that HashRoot processes on behalf of Customer in the course of providing the Services under the Service Level Agreement.
“Data Protection Laws” means all data protection and privacy laws and regulations applicable to the processing of Personal Data under the Agreement, including, where applicable, EU Data Protection Law.
“EU Data Protection Law” means (i) prior to May 25, 2018, Directive 95/46/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council on the protection of individuals with regard to the processing of Personal Data and on the free movement of such data (“Directive”) and on and after May 25, 2018, Regulation 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of Personal Data and on the free movement of such data (General Data Protection Regulation) (“GDPR”); and (ii) Directive 2002/58/EC concerning the processing of Personal Data and the protection of privacy in the electronic communications sec- tor and applicable national implementations of it (in each case, as may be amended, superseded or replaced).
“Personal Data” means any Customer Data relating to an identified or identifiable natural person to the extent that such information is protected as personal data under applicable Data Protection Law.
“Processor” means an entity that processes Personal Data on behalf of the Controller.
“Processing” has the meaning given to it in the GDPR and “process”, “processes” and “processed” shall be interpreted accordingly.
“Security Incident” means any unauthorized or unlawful breach of security that leads to the accidental or unlawful destruction, loss, alteration, unauthorzized disclosure of or access to Personal Data.
“Services” means any product or service provided by HashRoot to Customer pursuant to and as more particularly described in the Agreement.
2. SCOPE AND APPLICABILITY OF THIS DPA
We use the information we collect in various ways, including to:
- This DPA applies where and only to the extent that HashRoot processes Personal Data on behalf of the Customer in the course of providing the Services and such Personal Data is subject to Data Protection Laws of the European Union, the European Economic Area and/or their member states, Switzerland and/or the United Kingdom. The parties agree to comply with the terms and conditions in this DPA in connection with such Personal Data.
- Role of the Parties. As between HashRoot and Customer, Customer is the Controller of Personal Data and HashRoot shall process Personal Data only as a Processor on behalf of Customer. Nothing in the Agreement or this DPA shall prevent HashRoot from using or sharing any data that HashRoot would otherwise collect and process independently of Customer’s use of the Services.
- Customer Obligations. Customer agrees that (i) it shall comply with its obligations as a Controller under Data Protection Laws in respect of its processing of Personal Data and any processing instructions it issues to HashRoot; and (ii) it has provided notice and obtained (or shall obtain) all consents and rights necessary under Data Protection Laws for HashRoot to process Personal Data and provide the Services pursuant to the Agreement and this DPA.
- HashRoot Processing of Personal Data. As a Processor, HashRoot shall process Personal Data only for the following purposes: (i) processing to perform the Services in accordance with the Agreement; (ii) processing to perform any steps necessary for the performance of the Agreement; and (iii) to comply with other reasonable instrutions provided by Customer to the extent they are consistent with the terms of this Agreement and only in accordance with Customer’s documented lawful instructions. The parties agree that this DPA and the Agreement set out the Customer’s complete and final instructions to HashRoot in relation to the processing of Personal Data and processing outside the scope of these instructions (if any) shall require prior written agreement between Customer and HashRoot.
- Nature of the Data. HashRoot handles Customer Data provided by Customer. Such Customer Data may contain special categories of data depending on how the Services are used by Customer. The Customer Data may be subject to the following process activities: (i)storage and other processing necessary to provide, maintain and improve the Services provided to Customer; (ii) to provide customer and technical support to Customer; and (iii) disclosures as required by law or otherwise set forth in the Agreement.
- HashRoot Data. Notwithstanding anything to the contrary in the Agreement (including this DPA), Customer acknowledges that HashRoot shall have a right to use and disclose data relating to and/or obtained in connection with the operation, support and / or use of the Services for its legitimate business purposes, such as billing, account management, technical support, product development and sales and marketing. To the extent any such data is considered personal data under Data Protection Laws, HashRoot is the Controller of such data and accordingly shall process such data in compliance with Data Protection Laws.
We may share the information we collect in various ways, including the following:
- Security Measures. HashRoot shall implement and maintain appropriate technical and organizational security measures to protect Personal Data from Security Incidents and to preserve the security and confidentiality of the Personal Data, in accordance with HashRoot’s security standards described in Annex B (“Security Measures”).
- Confidentiality of Processing. HashRoot shall ensure that any person who is authorized by HashRoot to process Personal Data (including its staff, agents and subcontractors) shall be under an appropriate obligation of confidentiality (whether a contractual or statutory duty).
- Security Incident Response. Upon becoming aware of a Security Incident, HashRoot shall notify Customer without undue delay and shall provide timely information relating to the Security Incident as it becomes known or as is reasonably requested by Customer.
- Updates to Security Measures. Customer acknowledges that the Security Measures are subject to technical progress and development and that HashRoot may update or modify the Security Measures from time to time provided that such updates and modifica- tions do not result in the degradation of the overall security of the Services purchased by the Customer.
4. SECURITY REPORTS AND AUDITS
HashRoot shall maintain records of its security standards. Upon Customer’s written request, HashRoot shall provide (on a confidential basis) copies of relevant external ISMS certifications, audit report summaries and/or other documentation reasonably required by Customer to verify HashRoot’s compliance with this DPA. HashRoot shall further provide written responses (on a confidential basis) to all reasonable requests for information made by Customer, including responses to information security and audit questionnaires, that Customer (acting reasonably) considers necessary to confirm HashRoot’s compliance with this DPA, provided that Customer shall not exercise this right more than once per year.
5. INTERNATIONAL TRANSFERS
Processing Locations. HashRoot stores and processes EU Data (defined below) in data centers located inside and outside the European Union. All other Customer Data may be transferred and processed in the United States and anywhere in the world where Customer, its Affiliates and/or its Sub-processors maintain data processing operations. HashRoot shall implement appropriate safeguards to protect the Personal Data, wherever it is processed, in accordance with the requirements of Data Protection Laws.
6. RETURN OR DELETION OF DATA
Upon deactivation of the Services, all Personal Data shall be deleted, save that this requirement shall not apply to the extent HashRoot is required by applicable law to retain some or all of the Personal Data, or to Personal Data it has archived on back-up systems, which such Personal Data HashRoot shall securely isolate and protect from any further processing, except to the extent required by applicable law.
To the extent that Customer is unable to independently access the relevant Personal Data within the Services, HashRoot shall (at Customer’s expense) taking into account the nature of the processing, provide reasonable cooperation to assist Customer by appropriate technical and organizational measures, in so far as is possible, to respond to any requests from individuals or applicable data protection authorities relating to the processing of Personal Data under the Agreement. In the event that any such request is made directly to HashRoot, HashRoot shall not respond to such communication directly without Customer’s prior authorization, unless legally compelled to do so. If HashRoot is required to respond to such a request, HashRoot shall promptly notify Customer and provide it with a copy of the request unless legally prohibited from doing so.
To the extent HashRoot is required under Data Protection Law, HashRoot shall (at Customer’s expense) provide reasonably requested information regarding HashRoot's processing of Personal Data under the Agreement to enable the Customer to carry out data protection impact assessments or prior consultations with data protection authorities as required by law.
- Except for the changes made by this DPA, the Agreement remains unchanged and in full force and effect. If there is any conflict between this DPA and the Agreement, this DPA shall prevail to the extent of that conflict.
- This DPA is a part of and incorporated into the Agreement so references to “Agreement” in the Agreement shall include this DPA.
- In no event shall any party limit its liability with respect to any individual’s data protection rights under this DPA or otherwise.
- This DPA shall be governed by and construed in accordance with governing law and jurisdiction provisions in the Agreement, unless required otherwise by Data Protection Laws.